March 29, 2021

Scooby's Success Story (10936)

Sunday, March 28, 2021

Scooby was one of those little dogs that couldn't be noticed in the shelter. After 4 years he was able to come into foster care in Belgium. Here he was already doing well, but there was still no interest in him. Until a sweet adopter in the Netherlands chose him to come to her and her dog Lotje. A lottery ticket for Scooby. He was adopted a month ago and the adopter is now sending us this great story with nice pictures:

"He is really doing great, he is making great strides and I am still amazed at how well he adapts. He is now completely used to the house,  looks for his own places to lie down, comes to report when he thinks that the food is taking too long and runs into the hallway when someone is at the door. He barks now and then, not loudly and not for long, but I was really surprised when he first did it after more than 2 weeks.

When I go shopping or go to the hairdresser I put both dogs with a biscuit in the crate and turn on soft music, they can lie there for hours without making a sound, so that goes well too.

But the most special thing is that Scooby is no longer afraid at all. He is still startled by unexpected noises, but does not really panic anymore. Outside he is sniffing or running and he now goes to all kinds of strange dogs and people to greet them. I really did not expect that, certainly not that it would happen that fast. I suspect that Lotje's presence reassures him very much. I am now no longer afraid that he will run away if he unexpectedly gets loose, because he is very focused on Lotje and me and prefers to stay close.

By the way, I don't think I will ever let him go in the polder, because he is very fixated on everything that flies and runs and flutters and he would prefer to take a good bite from the miller's chickens here and then I really would have a issue. But he also seems to enjoy himself well, especially now that I have him on the flex line, just like Lotje, which gives him much more freedom of movement. He does not pull his line at all and can be corrected very well and quickly. They can also trot nicely together next to the scooter, because it goes about at bicycle speed, so they get enough exercise. I also always take extra long walks with them, last weekend they walked to the city next to my scooter and back again, which is almost entirely possible via bicycle paths and quiet streets and that went fine. Next week I want to take them to the shelter in Warmond for the first time to see how things are going with the other dogs there, but I don't think that will cause any problems.

In short: I am really happy with Scooby, especially now that the "real" dog is coming out from under all that fear. He is a very nice and sweet dog and Lotje is completely the eldest again and super satisfied now that she can stroll along in the wake of a real guy again, that is what she wants most.








No comments:

Post a Comment