May 03, 2023

Remembering Dirk ....

Wednesday 3rd May, 2023


This is a post I hoped I'd never have to write. Because it means that dear, beloved Dirk is no longer with us. His loss is incalculable - primarily for Fabienne, but there are so many, so many people all over the world who loved and valued him and who will miss hims so much. To say nothing of his beloved dogs and cats at the Refugio.

I have vivid memories of the first time I met him. It was the day of the flood and landslide. I had arrived the evening before for my first visit. That night there was a massive storm and torrential rain, the sky electric blue with lightning, the thunder deafening. Yet I woke the next morning to bright sunshine and clear skies. I had no idea of the devastation the storm had caused. I was staying on the other side of La Cala and had no idea how to get to the Refugio, eventually I managed to get someone to call a taxi.

Dropped off near the road I crossed the car parking area. There were cars, but no people. I rang the bell. Nothing happened (later I discovered the storm had knocked out the electrics). Some minutes later another car drew up and Dirk stepped out. I had never met him but recognised him from the website. We introduced ourselves and he let me in. Only then did I see the chaos and the damage - the place was knee deep in mud, generators were humming, people were busy trying to restore some order. I have written about it elsewhere, but suffice to say that it was devastating - dogs lost, food, medicine, blankets and supplies ruined. A volunteer put a sluice in my hand and I got stuck in like everyone else. Dirk, Fabienne and Ton, all the permanent staff and the volunteers  worked tirelessly throughout the day and in the days that followed. 

That was in May 2011. I returned in October, and the following year, and every year until the pandemic struck. Until finally I could go back. My memories of Dirk at the Refugio are like clear snapshots ... Dirk sorting out a problem with supplies ... building a wall ... getting stuck in with any physical work needed ... filling innumerable water canisters in the dreadful days when the well ran dry ... taking photos of the new arrivals. Dirk constructing and managing the website in the office ... talking to the dogs ... always talking to the dogs .... thinking up outrageous, wonderfully inventive names for them. And on occasion shooing them out of the office when the cheeky ones managed to get past or jump the fence.

After several visits Fabienne and Dirk became friends and I had the great privilege of staying with them and their dog family - usually 24+ including their own beloveds and a shifting family of fosters. I loved being there and have even more memories of Dirk at home. Dirk after a long day heading for the fridge offering me beer or wine ... sitting outside with Fabienne surrounded by the dogs while he put the world to rights, he loved talking politics and was always interested in what was going on in the UK. Dirk at his computer  on the office side of the big living room working on the website or admin for the Refugio. Dirk waiting to pick me up at the airport when I came in on an evening flight. Dirk cooking industrial quantities of spaghetti which was shared with the dog children of course. 

All my memories are of a kind, hardworking, loving, generous and hospitable man. He wasn't a saint, who is? He had his moments, as we all do. Those moments too form part of my memories of this beloved husband, friend and saviour of animals. My heart goes out to Fabienne. And my thoughts are also with everyone else who knew and loved this exceptional man. I will miss you Dirk - rest in peace, I'm sure you are surrounded with grateful dogs and cats in heaven as you were on earth, including your beloved Tineke.



Taking a brief rest during clean up operations, during yet another flood.


With his beloved Tineke, who always had her very own plate of food and napkin.


With Fabienne, promoting ACE-Shin and the Refugio. Always in it together.



In the office at El Chapparel, with companions.




No comments:

Post a Comment