May 19, 2012

May 19th 2011 – a day I’ll never forget.


A year ago today the Refugio was badly damaged by a terrible mudslide - but now it’s stronger than ever.


May 19th 2011

When I arrived at the big gates on my very first morning I had no idea what I would find. I’d left England the day before, May 18th, on a very early flight. I took the train from Fuengirola, and then a taxi, arriving at Las Buganvillas at midday. I had no idea how to get to El Refugio, so I settled into my apartment, slept and prepared to go up the next day.

That night, around 2a.m., I was woken by the most violent thunderstorm I have ever experienced. The sky was a pulsating electric blue, the rain lashed the windows, the wind howled. It went on for several hours. Next morning the sky was blue, the sun shone, the air was fresh. I phoned for a taxi to take me to El  Refugio. I got there at 10, the place looked deserted. I ran the bell – no one answered. Unknown to me the electricy had been knocked out. At this point I still had no idea of the enormity of what had happened.  


A car arrived. It was Dirk; we’d never met but I recognised him from the website. We walked up towards the portakabins and that’s when I could see it. The place was a sea of mud, the dogs were covered in mud, parts of the hill had slid down in several places. People were busy digging, hosing, sluicing. Marjolijn, a Dutch volunteer, now a friend, saw me, introduced herself, showed me where to find a sluicer and we just got to work.  A generator was brought in. More helpers arrived I recognised Fabienne, again from the website, but it was no time for introductions.  She was everywhere at once, distressed, but practical as ever, trying to sort it all out.

Everyone worked non-stop. All that day, and the next day and the next. People came from everywhere. Some offering to take some of the smaller dogs, to help them get warm. Others with masses of towels and blankets. Ton said the phone never stopped ringing from 7.30 am and into the night. The people came from the local radio station. Another dog charity brought a van load of food. I hadn’t known it at the time, but over the next days I discovered that the deluge had destroyed all the food stores, all the medicine, all the towels and the blankets and much else beside. The weaker dogs were in danger and some died. From pneumonia, from hypothermia. It was the saddest of times. A time that no one associated with A.C.E. will ever forget.

I know I’ll certainly never forget. I arrived knowing no one at the worst possible time. When I left nearly two weeks later I had a new ‘family’ – and I can hardly believe that it’s only a year since I met you all. I’m glad I was there when you most needed help, even though I was just one among many. I’m glad that I shared that experience with you. I’ve been looking through the Dutch and English blogs for May last year. The posts are heart warming - offers of help, donations, words of sorrow and support and love. Such a great, big, warm, loving family – A.C.E.

May 1st 2012

All squeaky clean

Another day, another dinner time 

The washroom's all nice and fresh again

A nice lick of paint - there've been many great improvements

May 19th 2012 - the pictures tell their own story. Bigger, better, stronger.  Nevertheless, the demands are great and growing daily. Spain is in a dreadful state, the dogs are under even greater threat.  El Refugio is constantly under pressure.  But it’s still going, thanks to the immense efforts, love and devotion of Fabienne and team Spain, of team Holland and of Team Belgium – of every single volunteer, worker, student, supporter, donor, foster parent – everyone and anyone who makes this brilliant organisation what it is today.

Below are just some of the dogs that now have loving forever homes - these are the Dutch adoptees for the month of April 2012.  Many more will find their golden baskets throughout the year - in Holland, Belgium, Denmark, Germany and Austria. Thanks once more to Ineke for the wonderful photos and collages.

                          


So many beautiful dogs owe their lives to A.C.E., many of them like the ones above now happy and adored with their loving adoptive families. The work goes on.








No comments:

Post a Comment