April 01, 2021

Bruges

Tuesday, March 30, 2021

Left as a puppy in a box, like waste, at the gate of the shelter. Your brothers and sisters did not survive. For 4 years you waited for your golden basket and just like that, a day like any other, on the other side of Europe, I decided to look for a dog at Ace's site. Touched by your story, I decided to give you a golden basket. I fell for you because of your beautiful but also endearing appearance, probably caused by a stroke. Your head crooked, your lip drooping and your crazy walk, neurologically wrong, but I saw a zest for life in your eyes that couldn't do justice in a shelter with so many other dogs. I wanted to give you a chance at happiness so I decided to adopt and pick you up in Malaga by car. A 22 hour ride, but you have been so worth it. 

The first meeting at the shelter was very exciting for both of us. Stuck to the wall, as if you were Harry Potter on a mission, so scared of what was to come. The second visit was still very exciting, but you seemed to understand that I had good intentions. Then came the day of departure. I picked you up early in the morning from the shelter, harness on, collar on, papers ready, but you didn't want to come. I understood, for 4 years you knew the way, you understood the routine, you knew the people around you and now everything changed in one go. We had to pick you up to put you in the car. I had bought you a nice bed, but you didn't understand it all and buried yourself as deep as you could in the blankets to be as invisible as possible. You slept the entire ride, had a drink at each stop, but you didn't want to eat. 

We had to spend the night in France, because the ride was too far for both of us to make in one go. At night you came to lie next to my side of the bed, looking for support and comfort, and I reassured and petted you until you finally fell into a deep sleep. The last 11 hours' drive home made you feel a bit more secure and you occasionally looked outside curiously, in anticipation of what was to come. Upon arrival at home, the other dogs were already waiting for you and you were greeted enthusiastically and friendly by all.

From now on life will be a party for you, welcome home dear Bruges, you never have to be afraid again.










No comments:

Post a Comment