May 29, 2016

Melleke's Story

Tuesday, May 24th, 2016


Hugs at the Refugio

Dear Readers,

Early in 2015 along with two classmates I went to southern Spain to undertake an internship at Ace Charity, for three and half months. It was o exciting. My first time abroad, my first internship and away from home for so long.

On my first day I was assigned to work in section 2 and I stayed there during my entire training period. I felt very comfortable there, because the dogs on section 2 really touched me. I felt responsible for them and I got to know them very well.

On the afternoon of my first training day some new dogs came into section 2. These dogs had just come from the death station in Cordoba. Among them was Melleke, a sweet little dog but very anxious, insecure and sad. The first week she didn't want to eat anything. I cared about her and went every day to sit with her and give her a hug. Gradually she began to eat and I saw her blossom.

Before I knew it, I had built up a relationship with Melleke. And I wanted to take her to the Netherlands and give her a golden basket! But then ... my parents .... big issue. They said in no uncertain terms that I could not take ANY dog home with me. But how could I leave Melleke here now? I could not. Almost every day I sent messages and pictures of Melleke to my parents. But each time they said no, no and no again.

At the end of March they came to Spain to visit me and the first thing I showed them was ACE. But especially Melleke. I took my parents to section 2 and I let Melleke out of her kennel. Immediately Melleke went to my parents and sat their laps, hugging them and give licks. But still my parents said no - he's fun .. but you can't take him home!

On the day my parents were leaving for the Netherlands, my mother came to sit next to me. She said to me, since you began to send pictures of Melleke, I was beginning to weaken. We did not say yes immediately because first we wanted to see Melleke with our own eyes and see how you were with her and to make sure this wasn't just a whim. But you have shown us that you really want this dog, so you may take her to the Netherlands, on one condition.

The condition was that I had to make sure that if we were ever to go on vacation, I would have people in the Netherlands who would look after Melleke. Because my parents said that putting the dog in kennels was not an option. So I agreed and sorted that out right away.  That evening my parents flew home to the Netherlands, and by coincidence some ACE dogs were aso on the same plane. My parents had already told ACE that we wanted to reserve Melleke.

Next day I came to work and when I heard and I saw Melleke had been reserved for me, I was over the moon with it all. The entire procedure was then put in motion. A home visit was scheduled for the same week and everything was OKAY. Now I only had to save up and add Melleke my plane ticket home. Melleke was officially mine. My Spanish dog was going to get her golden basket!

Our internship ended at the end of the May Day holiday and we left for the Netherlands, together with Melleke and another dog that flew with us. Our adventure is over in Spain, but now takes place in the Netherlands. Sometimes I think, "what if I had not taken her from Spain. Would she now still sitting sadly in her cage?" After all, she was an 'invisible' dog.

Also, I sometimes wonder what had happened to her before, because you just notice that they have experienced things. Previously, she was VERY submissive and if you did anything, she dived immediately into a corner. Afraid that she would be beaten. But this is getting better. She has got more confident and less afraid.

Now Melleke has already been more than a year in the Netherlands and I have had no regrets. She has even stolen my parents' hearts. Especially with my mother. She's such a loyal, loving pet. But sometimes as mad as a hatter.

We love you very much Melleke and would not know what to do without you. She's with us and we're with her! Like it should be.

Here are some pictures. Made in Spain.

Greetings from Samantha


Even more hugs



The picture of contentment



On the beach at La Cala - a little treat 



On our way home



At home with my chicken



Look at my smart new coat



I do love that chicken



Happines

No comments:

Post a Comment