October 03, 2015

RIP - Dear Winston


RIP dear Winston/Spock



A recent photo of Winston/Spock and friends.

I only manage to get out to help at the Refugio once or twice a year. Obviously, because these occasions are infrequent and short, my memories are intense and the doggies I meet I will remember more vividly since I have cuddled them and known them and, with some, I have actually been present when they first arrived.

Such a dog was Winston. I remember that day so well, the day he arrived with his two rescuers. I remember every detail. Winston was scruffy and thin but so friendly and sweet. The two ladies who rescued him said he seemed to understand they were trying to help him and that he was very, very receptive to kindness. Later I wrote about this on the English blog, where you will find more of his story.

From his sad beginnings, Winston's life changed for the better. He was adopted and loved and had a happy life, with a new name - Spock. Now, sadly, we hear the news that poor Spock has had to be put to sleep, lovingly to save him from more pain. His devoted owner, Irene, has written to tell us the sad news. 



Winston, arriving at the Refugio in May 2013.

Winston / Spock

Unfortunately yesterday we had to say goodbye to Spock. A few months ago (probably as a result of a tick bite) the autoimmune disease again became very active. In recent weeks he could barely walk, but he wanted to so badly. We therefore gave him every opportunity to stay with us, but the day before yesterday the pain was too great and there was no possibility to alleviate it. He was happy to quietly be put to sleep by a vet and will be cremated today.

We've had a lot of fun with this crazy dog. He was incredibly sweet, strong and funny and it's been so frustrating to see how he himself so badly wanted to live, but his body gave out.

I've uploaded a photo, in which he and the dog of my friend (labrador) and my old dog Bajka (unfortunately she died 7 weeks ago) while they were still enjoying the good times.

Given all the conditions surrounding his illness at the beginning of the placement and because I know he had a special place in your heart, I found it only natural to bring you up to date.

Sincerely,

Irene van der Linde

No comments:

Post a Comment