November 05, 2020

Today is Teddy Edward's Anniversary - he's been with me two years today!

5th November 2020



Teddy Edward - November 2020

Fabienne called them 'the misfits' because poor little things had been hoarded in a crazy place and all of them were so sweet and gentle, despite the neglect and suffering. One of them had a nasty tumour. Teddy Edward (Dunde at ACE) only had three legs. Tell me about a misfit, or an underdog, and I will be interested immediately! Teddy was a misfit with a handicap - a perfect match for me!

It was one of my many visits to the Refugio, but this time I was determined to come away with my very own dog. It wasn't plain sailing, but I have written about that elsewhere. This time I met Teddy with his sweet face and three legs. He was cautious at first, why wouldn't he be. He had no idea who I was. We took him back to Fabienne's house, stopping for lunch on the way. Teddy sat on my lap quietly and, somewhat to my surprise, accepted first tomato, then anchovy on toast, chicken (not surprising) and finally ..... creme brûlée!!! This a dog who was used to kibble.

Teddy Edward stayed with Fabienne while I sorted out the arrangements for bringing him to the UK. I'm so grateful, he had a lovely time with her. Everybody was so helpful in arranging his transport, passport etc. More work for them because the dogs and cats usually go to mainland Europe, not across the channel. Veerle in particular was more than patient with all my questions. But absolutely everyone helped.

Came the day, 5th November, 2018. My amazing brother drove me from the middle of England to the coast, where we boarded the chunnel. We stayed overnight in Bruges, having visited some childhood haunts at Knokke-Heist on the way. (Totally changed of course in all the years between, but still recognisable for it's wonderful miles of beach and seafront.) The following day we arrived at Eindhoven airport. And I saw Teddy Edward for the first time in 6 weeks. My brother drove back non-stop and we got home at 10 in the evening. A hero.

Teddy Edward is such a good little dog. When you think of how upsetting, bewildering and strange it must have been. To say the least. Some six or seven months earlier he had been crowded in a house with 35 other dogs, in all states and all neglected. Then he was 'rescued' by the police and put in a killing station. Happily his time there was short as Fabienne and her team took him to the Refugio. He spent 6 months there, another big change though a much kinder one. Following that he went to his 'second mummy' Fabienne, but six weeks later he had to say goodbye to her, go in a cage in a big machine and fly to another country, meet people he didn't know, go in a big car and then under the sea, and then more car.

Considering all this, not just for Teddy, but all the animals who are rescued from bad situations, it's amazing how accepting and kind they are. Teddy just accepted everything. Part of it is, I'm sure, his way of coping. He just stays quiet, doesn't make a fuss and lets things happen. For instance, when he arrived at my house I was having an old bathroom removed and a new one installed. So there was lots of banging and crashing and shouting. He just lay quietly on his cushion, though goodness knows how traumatic it must have been for him.

Now he's been with me for two whole years. 

                                                        
                                                          The Misfit: on arrival at the Refugio


Saying goodbye to Fabienne at Malaga Airport


A bewildered little dog arrives at Eindhoven and meets his new owner.


Happy and settled in his forever home. He looks a bit startled; he doesn't like having his photo taken!!



















No comments:

Post a Comment