March 22, 2015

Bully : such joy and gratitude



Bully with his new mum - another miracle!

I met Bully in the Refugio the first time I visited, four years ago. He hadn't been there long. He'd been dumped by gypsies who had treated him with aggression. Violence and harsh words were all he knew. But underneath this damaged dog was a loyal heart. His experience had taught him to attack first but once he knew you, once you were family, he was the most loyal and loving dog and a real character. Playful but unfortunately unpredctable, as he would turn on strangers and other dogs.

As the years went by we came to know him and love him.  He got to know us and is so affectionate, a real teddy bear. We all love our Bully, we understand his past and setbacks. But with strangers he could still be agressive for he was our watchdog. He was only protecting us. Our big hope was that, one day, our Bully would find a forever family, though as the years went by this seemed unlikely.

For on top of his protective nature, poor Bully also had health problems. He was going blind in one eye and as the pressure on the nerve increased and it caused more difficulties, we had to remove it. For a while, when it was healing, he walked around looking like a rather fierce pirate.

But once more El Refugio has witnessed a miracle. And the people who made this miracle happen are the same people who made another miracle happen when they adopted our gentle but incontinent Flappy. Flappy is now so happy with them and with his new friend Bear. They have welcomed Bully with open arms, with love and great patience. They have sent photos, videos and an update. I will not attempt to translate it all, only the bits I can figure out, as Google Translate has garbled it even more than it usually does and I don't want to get things wrong.


Just arrived - playing it safe

News of Bully (Boelie)
Tuesday 19.00

1. As you can see from the pictures and the video Boelie is doing quite well. To my amazement, he will take treats from both John and I. You just have to crouch down - if you walk towards him he gets angry. He gets cross with Bear too and that's a problem but ..... maarrrr it is still too early to give up. He is now sleeping in his crate. He has eaten well and drunk a lot. He breathes rapidly in his sleep but that might be as a result of all the commotion of his arrival. He cannot walk off the leash. I dare not try it. The same goes for Bear. 


Treats - gently, gently.

2. Update Tuesday 22:00

Boelie decided to do it differently anyway. We went with Bully and Flappy for a little walk round, with Bear, and he decided he liked him. It went well. I suspect this was because Bully wasn't in his bench. When we got back, I didn't want to put him back in his bench straight away so I sat down in a chair holding his lead. Boelie decided to get onto my lap !!! I was shocked. I decided to let him do it and to see "what happens next" - you'll see in the video !!!! I was little overconfident and thought I could start to work on his ears and eye because he has so much trouble and itching. Unfortunately ... he bites into the bottles. Maybe I'll try tomorrow ..... He is now snoring down the hallway in his crate .... Trust Boelie! And Flap and Bear ... you really are wonderful !!!!!! Good night all! X

3. Boelie update Wednesday 9.00

Boelie snores quite a lot. You hear that pretty well upstairs when he is in the hallway.
Yesterday evening Boelie took a bone and placed in the toy basket in the pantry. I thought, "Well that's actually good for him, he knows he's allowed."But no, the bone had to be hidden. In another box of stuff that is in the pantry. Boelie went with bone to the box and came back out without bone and then he was happy. I have yet to see what the damage is ....;-)

Last night he lay still for quite a log time, panting, in his bench in the hallway. But eventually he fell asleep, snuggled up and snoring.

This morning there was still more excitement. Last night had ended well, but does he know that too?
I needed to attach the long lead to his collar. This is still scary as I am still not clear about what he will do. So I had to get the lead on before he came out of the bench. The magic workd is 'sweets' so first I gave him a few kibbles just to be safe. House doors all closed and then open the bench and yes, he was wagging his tail.


In my garden with mum.

We were just going for a walk in the garden, with Bear and Flap. Bear let him sniff at him, nose to nose until Bear turned away. Flap didn't come close. Boelie had to do enormous puddles, as yesterday he drank an enormous amount. I also noticed when he came back inside he'd done something in the hall against my curtain !!!

It's funny because he follows me everywhere. I tried again to find an opportunity to see to his eye but  unfortunately, he wouldn't let me ..... So this afternoon anywaywe go to the DA (vet?). I can not let him walk off the lead. Maybe they have a gimmick.

John is now no longer regarded as his friend because this morning Boelie growled when John went to pet him. Luckily I had hold of Boelie and will continue to be watchful. We give him his food in the hall, so he can eat in peace. We also use it to give him treats when we are passing his bench.

When the decorator came she stood an watched him. But that's not allowed! You can almost hear him thinking ' What should I do now? He was trembling and growling a bit. John had left him alone but I said just say 'hello' . Unfortunately because Boelie didn't growl, John immediately put his finger into the bench before I could stop him. Before I could say 'first let him smell your finger' or 'give him a treat' .. hup .. Boelie snapped at his finger. Happily John withdrew it in time. He was quite shocked of course. I got angry with John, Boelie was angry at everyone and John went off feeling cross. Boelie was now mad at me too. So I tried a dry Marie cookie. That went down well. Hopla and now friends again!!

Boelie now is still snoring in his bench in the hall because of the decorators, who are working in the house. I'm curious how it goes this afternoon at the DA. To be continued.


On the sofa with Bear, and Flappy on the rug.


No comments:

Post a Comment