January 10, 2015

Update : Manolito



                    

      

Manolito on arrival. A little apprehensive. And getting loving reassurance from Eugenie, his mum.


Eugenie writes ...

Manolito arrived at Schipol on December 29th. He didn't come out of the bench when it was opened, and when we did get him to come out he was quite nervous and withdrawn. Fabienne had told me that he would be fine when he knew me so I took his little head in my hands and spoke to him gently.

Because he was so nervous and uncertain we did not take the bus but took a taxi instead. And on the way home in the taxi he snuggled up to me and slept the whole way on my lap. Because of his anxiety and because my dog Bobby has recently had surgery for a torn ligament, and can barely walk, it made sense to introduce them first, before the others. It went perfectly.

Fabienne has already worked wonders with Manolito when he was fostered with her. I know that when he came to her he use at first to sit quietly in a corner before he got used to being able to run around and to the fact that he could lie on a cushion, instead of the floor.  He is still very shy and modest; he is still processing everything and discover his place in this house. However, I think he has been making all right the steps. 

He comes for cuddles, he lies down for me when I sit on the couch and then looks back to make sure it's OK. Or I will scratch him just above his tail, as he finds that quite delicious. He is also learning that he doesn't have to hang back behind the other dogs when tasty treats are being handed out. And for the last few days he comes to greet me first thing in the morning when I wake up. 

I noticed that when I got up from the couch and walked around, Manolito thought he had better get out of the way. I felt so sorry for him hugged him before I stood up and again when I was upright an if he began to run away I called him and he got more hugs. That has helped tremendously. I picked him up from the airport on Monday, but it took until Tuesday before he dared to do a pee and two days for a poo. Actually it was already Friday before he really dared to do anything outside.
Now the neighbourhood dogs can smell that Manolito is in town.  I still find the occasional 'gift' from Manolito in the bedroom or bathroom, but I can live with it. I'm just glad that he no longer keeps everything inside.

I've noticed several times that Manolito would like to play with Pimpinella, only sadly Pimpinella find this scary and growls at him, but the very fact that Manolito is already wanting to play makes me very happy. He has already had a few little moments when he felt so good that he was sweating it out ... What a comedian !! I laughed so much! It's in these little moments that I get a glimpse of how Manolito should really be, as he is naturally, in his spirit. So sad that he lost this along the way. But I am hopeful that he will gradually discover himself again and in about six months or so he'll be a different dog. I'm sure he'll get ther and I will do everything I can to help him. 

Oh yes! Walking and eating time are his favorite moments of the day. Only after eating I need to clean those cute little teeth of his because food sticks to them - it's really quite a collection! In the  two last pictures you can see Manolito if he's just been out, he is happy!

The only thing that is unfortunate is that he has diarrhea. Luckily I already had everything I need to help with that; cooked chicken, clear liquid, probiotics, and droplets that have a healing effect on the intestinal wall .. for the rest his little body will need to heal itself, but that will probably be fine. I just hope doesn't pass it on to Pimpinella because everything is going so well but I'm sure it will be fine. 

As I said he is a huge treasure and I'm really happy with him !!

Greetings,

Eugenie



Happy boy! So content. After lovely food and a good walk.



Home at last.



No comments:

Post a Comment