January 04, 2015

Joyful stories for the New Year - No. 1 Torris



Torris in front, with his new brother, Sam


Torris. That's his new name for his wonderful new life. At the Refugio this beautiful dog was known as Oris. He made an appearance on Facebook, as well as being in the database. It was there that his new boss saw him first - and fell in love.  Here's her moving story ....

Friday, January 2nd, 2015

Over the months I have seen many beautiful, sweet dogs appearing on the ACE Facebook pages. However, I don't personally want a dog a I have a very loyal, eleven year old four-footted companion. So instead I support ACE by joining in and occasionally making a donation.

But then one day Torris appears over on Facebook, and my stomach churns and I cannot take my mind off him. I contacted Ace and so I began the proceedure. I talked about it with family and friends, because you cannot just take a dog. You have to be aware that this would be for his or her entire life. 

Everyone was immediately very excited. And also we were thinking that, for my 11-yr old Sam, it may be best to consider how it would be for him to have a friend who would keep him "young". (While he is still so vital and fit). Sam could even share his wisdom with Torris. 

After several emails back and forth I finally received a home visit, to see if I am a suitable person to adopt a dog. This was no problem. When that was done it was time to sign contracts and then we had to wait to see when Torris could leave Spain and join us forever. I would also like to convey my compliments to ACE. The adoption process is fantastic, it's all well co-ordinated and you are looked at lovingly but also soberly to make sure you are suitable.

The countdown has started. Then comes the phone call to tell us that Torris may fly. He will arrive on Sept. 6 at Schiphol Airport in the evening. My best friend and my sister came along with me to welcome Torris on Dutch soil. At the airport my heart was beating fast and my hands were clammy. And then the dogs arrived. We walked with the benches to a quiet area where the ACE volunteer handed over the passports. (And there were photos from the vet in Spain that will help my vet - showing his broken jaw and cracked hip).

Everything happened fast. Then the bench was opened and there is this beautiful white dog - only seven months old. I knew him only from his photos. He was even more beautiful than I'd imagined and I could not put him down. I was still totally entranced and I just sat on the floor and stroked and cuddled him. Meanwhile, my best friend and sister took pictures. 

The trip back to the East went well; he didn't make a sound. At home (in the night) my dear Sam became acquainted with him. They just smelled each other and it was immediately fine. I do not like to put my dogs in a bench. It's more natural for them to lie on the couch and Torris's  basket was all ready for him and he will find his on place.  He'd had a long journey all the previous day and all night and he soon fell asleep. It had been a long day for all of us. 

The next day we had visit from our family and friends. What a beautiful day it was too. The first week was spent getting used to each other - Torris, Sam and me - and then it was immediately fine. I love to watch him, every day. I love him. Torris is now part of our family and friends. What a wonderful 2014 ....

Sam on the left, little Torris on the right.



Friends.


So happy.

No comments:

Post a Comment