May 10, 2016

"My" dog Cohen




Some weeks ago an appeal went out. There were 21 dogs at the killing station and they were due to be euthanised that coming Friday. Could we help with donations - €35 would rescue one of these poor souls. Our wonderful donors responded with their usual generousity. And on the Thursday, in the nick of time, 21 souls were rescued from their fate and came to us. 

I had hoped to give 'my' dog his or her name but a new rule dictates that naming must be done within 3 days (yes, even more regulations!) In any case, being able to give a dog a name pales into insignificance in relation to their rescue. I had asked if I could 'have' one of the saddest, most miserable or hopeless of the dogs. Cohen was very ill and just skin and bone and spent the next four weeks in the hospital. 

On Monday I got an email introducing me to Cohen. A brilliant surprise on a Monday morning. He had recovered from his cold and was healthy again and would go onto the website that day. Such great news. Now all this sweet fellow needs is his very own forever home. You can read all about him here. 

Visiting a killing station is a harrowing experience. There is of course the elation and joy when you rescue one or more souls and know they have a second chance. But the thought of those you have to leave behind haunts you. I can still see in my mind those I left behind on previous visits. They are imprinted on your memory. You just have to think of those you can save and concentrate on that. By responding to the occasional appeals, we can help save even more dogs from their horrible fate.



Enjoying tummy rubs and cuddles in freedom




No comments:

Post a Comment