May 17, 2016

Bert - One Year with Us



Bert 1 year home ❤️

Eighteen months ago I met you at the shelter in Spain when I went to help for a week. You had it rough, you took it badly, being behind bars. The only thing you could do and did was cry. Day and night. It cut me to the bone. I had actually planned and promised that I would take back a dog but also Olli, with her broken leg, had already stolen my heart. And for her the ticket was already booked to come home. At that time, taking back two dogs was not an option. There were already 3 waiting for me back home. With pain in my heart, but with good spirits and with the belief that I would get find a way to get you home, somehow. So I left you and flew back home to the Netherlands with Olli.

I did my best for half a year, and for another helf a year I tried to get you out of my head, but I could still hear you crying when I thought of you. Unfortunately any chance of adopting you was still out of sight. On May 8, Fabienne called me to say that you continued to deteriorate. You no longer even cried but only stood in a corner of your cage, staring ahead. Broken, mentally snapped and having lost hope. When we heard this news Roel said, bring it on.  It has to be. You belong with us ..

Three days later, a year ago today, on May 11 Bert came at home ... Our big "crazy" friend .. Your first year out wasn't easy, not for you, nor for us but anyway, boy, we wouldn't have been without you for anything!!

Vivian Rulkens

Please go to the Dutch Blog to see the video - Bert before and after coming home.





No comments:

Post a Comment