January 22, 2012

Toffeeke's Story




We were driving from the airport, on yet another rescue mission, when suddenly Fabienne slammed on the brakes and everyone rushed out of the car! I got out too but, being a fairly new volunteer, had no idea what was happening. I soon discovered – a terrified little dog was in the road, dodging among the traffic. Something that happens all too often.

Fabienne did her best to get the cars to stop.  The drivers simply drove round her, hooting angrily.  By some great fortune none of them hit the little creature who bolted off, away from us.  It took a while to find her, even longer to catch her. This was finally accomplished when, exhausted, she gave up and sat cowering in a doorway.

We kept her in the Refugio that night.  Next day, when she was taken out of her cage, so she could have a little run, she just sat there shaking.  A tiny little thing, overwhelmed by her surroundings. I took her on my lap and sat with her, talking to her, trying to let her know she was safe. She was so frightened, so fragile.  That night Fabienne took her home with her. But first she said I could give her a name – I called her Toffee. I felt very privileged.

Every effort was made to find her owners – she must have been owned by someone. She had a chip but it was out of date, as is sadly so often the case. I went back to England the next day, but followed her progress. I was so delighted when I saw on the Belgian blog that she had been adopted and had a wonderful golden basket.

She’s now called Toffeeke, little toffee, and lives happily in Belgium with a wonderful new owner who says she’s a treasure of a dog, a dream and adds that everyone she meets is her friend.  Unfortunately, I don’t know the name of her new owner, but I hope she sees this post.


Here’s a link to some more wonderful pictures she’s taken of Toffeeke


No comments:

Post a Comment