July 08, 2021

In memoriam: Belli


Monday 5 July 2021

Her sad adopter wrote a farewell message.

"Dear Mouse, Smiley, Belli...,

I don't know where to start. Last year, after literally 1 look, 1 photo and a few seconds, I made the impulsive decision to adopt you from Spain. After I had already emailed for you, I only told mom that I did. What a shock that one was, haha.

As far as I was concerned, you could come the day after, but corona was still a bit difficult then.

I can still see us standing at the gate to pick you up. The truck was several hours late, go poof, 'Belli?' And there you were pushed straight out of that same truck into my arms.

Our 'worry child'. Because we knew that in advance. Gudrun from ACE had informed us well about this. Your first day immediately became one for the albums. I was allowed to walk behind you until 10.15 pm, because of course I knew better and I let you loose in the garden, despite  mom's wise advice not to do that.

3 days later it was already clear how loyal and sweet you were. From starting to walk from me, to when I walked, you walked and when I stopped, you stopped too.

You were so beautiful, if not the most beautiful of them all.

I knew nothing of your race. Just simply that smile on your being was what made me melt. And when I looked more closely, you were the Simpsons dog!!! Little did I know that that was an effective breed called Podenco.

On Wikipedia it says: 'many different kinds of podenco. Jumps 1,80m' from a standstill  shit...

But you, with your hip problem and your noise on your ticker, you would never do that. And that filthy sand fly that infected you with Leishmania.

All those medical ailments became completely secondary 3 days later, because you had fantastic blood values, so that even the vet didn't know what she was seeing. And that leg , that was probably an accident that had grown badly together. Except the Erlichia, which we didn't know about, but which was positive on your passport. We immediately treated you for that and also went to the cardiologist because your heart had to be tested. And yes, even the cardiologist reassured us! If your heart was still beating so beautifully next year, we wouldn't have to come every year!

Unfortunately we didn't get there...

Suddenly all sorts of things happened, and you got sicker day after day. Your kidneys gave out, which could be a result of your Leishmania, and no matter what we tried: special diet, kidney washes, the only result was that you stopped eating. The vet didn't even dare to give a prognosis anymore about how long we should have you with us.

And so said. Day after day you lost weight and got leaner.

Fresh meat, frozen meat, Filet de sax, cheese, ham, I cooked chicken with rice and fried sausages. You literally didn't want to eat anything anymore. Nothing.

It was a stay of execution. We even tried liquid food with a syringe last week. But if you saw the syringe? Then your last powers surfaced and you tried to get away.

We were trying to make you survive, because there was nothing left of life in you. You went out to pee and drink a few sips of water and came in, stopped at the bottom step of the stairs and looked at me, then I knew you couldn't make it up yourself and I carried you upstairs. Because upstairs, in our bed, you preferred to lie.

You didn't go out on the couches anymore, you didn't play with your ropes anymore, and the most obvious thing that showed you were unwell was that Basil, Roxy and Marvin preferred lying on the far side of the couch. To get out of your way.

Today we didn't bring you back home, and we weren't going to pick you up to go home. Not on your own 4 legs. I still don't know if this was the right decision, but if even the vet  says there are no more options, and you're in pain, then this was the most humane thing, right?

I come from a family where there have always been pets. There was never a time when there wasn't at least 1 dog and 1 cat.

Usually there were 3 or even 4. And yes, some have already died of course, but now? I don't know what to do with myself. And I missed you last night, even though you were still next to me.

You are to me one of the most beautiful girls I have ever loved, and what you and I had I may never have again with a dog.

I hope you can now walk around back, roaming around on beautiful fields because you liked to do that! And you're full of food like in the beginning as if you never got any food with us, until the scale said the opposite, but you don't have to worry about it, because up there everything and everyone is perfect.

I hope from the bottom of my heart that you can just be a dog again from today. Without all the medication and restrictions.

You became 2 years, 6 months and 15 days. Of which we have been able to enjoy your smiley presence for 1 year and 9 days.

You made me a proud owner, even though I was probably a lousy boss, because straightforwardness and such were not part of our upbringing.

'No! No food from the table', while giving a piece of sausage...

Thank you my little smiley poddie, I love you ❤️"

Despite the good care and love, Belli unfortunately died too early. On the other hand, there are many dogs with leishmania and erlichia that are allowed to grow old. They also deserve to find a nice home, just like Belli had one. We wish the adopters a lot of strength and thank them for the fantastic year that Belli has been able to experience.





 

No comments:

Post a Comment