August 30, 2014

Modena - RIP





In Memoriam Modena 

It wasn''t that long ago. I'm sure most people remember the story of Dalo and Modena, two beautiful dogs who suffered from conditions that meant they could not fly. And how a wonderful woman drove all the way to Spain from Holland to fetch them. She hadn't meant to adopt Modena, but she fell in love and  gave beautiful Modena a wonderful life. 

This is their story.

On August 26, 2014 I had to let my dearest Modena go. Modena, my heart,my soul. She was such a special character, but also due to her strength of will, she lived longer that was predicted. She had a congenital heart defect; dogs with this condition do not normally live more than two or three years. Modena lived till almost five. How Modena came to me is a different story again. Thanks to sponsors,we volunteers were able to drive to southern Spain to pick up Dalo. He had been adopted but could not fly. He could only travel by car to his golden basket. While we were on our way we had a call from Hilde Leunens, another  ACE / SHIN volunteer, asking if we could also take Modena to her foster mum. Modena too could not fly because of her heart condition. From the first moment I saw Modena I was in loveDuring the trip back to the Netherlands that feeling only grew stronger. Yet I gave her to her dear foster mother as agreed but I could not get her out of my headEventually, a few weeks later it was arranged that she could definately come to me.I have so enjoyed hershe was so sweet, kind, cheerful and gentle. And so very brave with that heart that raged like a diesel engine. Unfortunately two weeks ago her heart started to give up. She began to suffer from a lot of fluid in her belly and around her lungs.  During the first days we were still able to help with medication but last week it became clear that the end was near. We did still try other medications, but it was all to no avail. Then I had to decide so as to save her worse suffering.It is so painful but I know she is in heaven with her children and I will never forget her. She has always been my angel, and now she really is.  My star in the sky. My sweet girl.

No comments:

Post a Comment